Sunday, August 15, 2010

Avocado Don Gillogly


Something I've learned from growing my first avocado is that they sunburn easily. They need some shade when they are young. Some people whitewash the trunks. This Don Gillogly Avocado didn't make it through our intense Houston summer...or my rock hard clay soil, or our occasional frosty winters. 

I have since bought a much hardier avocado called Mexicola, we'll see how that one does. I don't plan to protect it whatsoever. I did however, give it much better soil.


Don Gillogly Avocado, from Park Seed. It grew quickly to this stage, but I think it got too much sun too soon


this was how it looked after 1 year in a pot. Those are flower buds. I planted it in the ground in early spring, but I prob should have kept it in the pot. The hot summer got to it.



Avocado Mexicola, tallest plant towards the back. I know it's hard to see, but  it's not much to see anyway, just a 4 ft scraggly tree, but I have high hopes for it. It supposedly is the hardiest avocado, taking temps down to 20 temporarily.


No comments:

Post a Comment